June 21, 2021 by admin
- 1 Comments
Mental Health: All you need to know!
In this informative piece, you can learn about:
- What is mental health and issues related to it?
- What are the signs of poor mental health?
- What are the causes of poor mental health?
- How to tackle poor mental health?
What is the meaning of mental health? Mental health is a condition of well-being in which a person recognizes his or her own potential, is able to cope with regular life challenges, works productively, and contributes to his or her society. Emotional, psychological, and social well-being all fall under the umbrella of mental health. It influences how we think, feels or behave.
Mental health, according to the WHO, is more than merely the absence of mental issues. So, what defines mental well-being? Good mental health entails not only avoiding active mental illnesses but also maintaining overall well-being and happiness. Also, mental health is vital at all stages of life, including childhood, adolescence, and maturity.
Everyone, regardless of age, gender, income, or culture, is at risk of acquiring mental problems. A person’s mental health can be influenced by social and socioeconomic situations, emotional problems, biological variables, and lifestyle choices.
Today, mental health in pandemic has been adversely affected. Fear, worry, and stress are natural reactions to perceived or real threats, as well as to uncertainty and the unknown. As a result, people’s terror in the face of the Covid-19 pandemic is natural and understandable.
In the Covid-19 pandemic, the fear of getting the virus is compounded by the considerable changes to our daily life as our movements are restricted in support of efforts to stop the spread of the coronavirus. Working from home, temporary unemployment, home-schooling children, and a lack of physical interaction with other family members, friends, and coworkers are all new realities that require us to take care of our mental as well as physical health.
Some of the common mental disorders include:
- Mood disorders: People with these diseases experience major variations in mood, with mania (a period of high energy and elation) or depression (a period of low energy and elation) being the most common.
- Anxiety disorders: People who suffer from these disorders experience intense fear or anxiety in response to specific objects or situations. The majority of people who suffer from anxiety disorders will strive to avoid being exposed to whatever it is that makes them anxious.
5 Causes of poor mental health:
Mental health isn’t just affected due to a single incident or cause, as there are far many more than only one reason that person suffers from a mental health disorder. Various factors like psychological, environmental, and biological play an important role in one person’s mental health.
The following are the reasons which affect and cause mental health disorder to a person-
- Genes- Sometimes these mental health disorders can be hereditary and run in the family. Studies show that abnormalities in genes can lead to various mental disorders and can also possibly be passed on to the next upcoming generations.
- Traumatic event- Any traumatic recent event in your personal life like going through a divorce, losing someone you loved or cared about, or losing a job; all these events or something similar to these can affect your mental health and can have some serious complications on your health.
- Disturbing childhood- Having a stressful and disturbing environment as a child can really affect your mental health as a grown-up too. Most people suffering from mental health problems usually have flashes of the disturbing event which has occurred in the past in their childhood.
- Drug abuse and alcohol intake- Alcohol and drug intake can amplify the depression and anxiety problem one is having which leads to more complicated health problems. Taking these substances can make it hard to recover from mental problems.
Brain injuries- Experiencing an injury to the brain can also lead to personality changes in a person. These injuries can trigger anxiety and depression which leads to serious mental health problems.
10 Signs of poor mental health:
- Unexcited – you become unexcited and in things, you once love to do
- Antisocial – it doesn’t matter if you are an introvert or extrovert you will not like to socialize with people.
- Inconsistent sleeping/eating schedule- you don’t have any continuous sleeping schedule, you will either sleep too much or very little and it is the same with eating.
- Unstable mental and emotional status- in this stage you will shift your mood frequently. For once you will feel very happy and the other moment you will feel sad.
- Distracted- You don’t seem to pay attention even to the little or everyday things.
- More anxious – everyone feels anxious at some point in life, but when you continuously feel anxious it can be a sign.
- Overwhelmed easily – You will unnecessarily feel overwhelmed by little things. around you.
- Unexplained pain – you will feel pain in different parts of the body without any reason.
- Post-traumatic stress- You will experience memories or flashbacks from your past which traumatize you.
- Sadness- You will feel depressed and lonely most of the time.
Treatment for mental health can’t reduce all of your mental issues but it can make the condition manageable. Mainly treatment targets to reduce symptoms, address underlying causes, etc.
Ways to cure Mental Health issue
You and your doctor or counselor work together to find the right plan and treatment for your case. Different patients need different treatments because it’s not specified early which treatment will be better for this one. In this issue, doctors try different strategies and treatments combination to find the right treatment for your health.
There are four main categories of medications used to treat this condition are antidepressants, anti-anxiety medications, antipsychotic medications, and mood-stabilizing medications.
Which type of medications would be best for you depends on the symptoms you are getting from a mental health issue. A doctor prescribes different medicines to find which medicines would be the best for your health and they are more likely to experiment with which medicine is good for you.
Psychotherapy is known as the best Therapy for anxiety, depression-related issues. Talking and explaining our issues to someone can ease your problems and give you advice on the right way to walk. Sometimes Talking to your friend can be good for you..
Lifestyle plays a main role you have to strict in your diet and have to avoid alcohols and drugs for fast recovery. Walking in the morning and doing some exercise can be good for your health and if you do it regularly it can reduce all of your bad symptoms.
Mental Health Therapy
Therapy refers to different styles of talking therapy. To treat various disorders including panic, anger issues, anxiety, depression, etc.It helps people to identify mental health issues and healthy thought of behavior patterns. Your therapist talks to you and recognizes the mental issues and prescribes normal things like he changes your way of thinking and behavior by talking.Most cases therapist try to focus on current problems you are getting things those are affecting your daily life and try to find solutions.
Being physically active is a different type of pleasure you get by running, jumping, Yoga, Resistance Training, etc. Exercise also reduces the symptoms of Mental Health.